Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Partners

I came home. It was dark, dreary and cold. I was exhausted and feeling low because I still needed to workout. As I opened the back door and tripped over the cord I'd left out, it suddenly hit me. I'd worked out this morning! I did 24 laps. It was amazing. I added 4 laps from the last workout and took 2 seconds off each lap and I could've been faster. If only running and biking were going as well...


But no matter those worries, I could go home, sit on my couch, do the fund raising webinar, then catch up on some work. Guilt free Wednesday evening!


Halfway through the webinar I remembered my friend is running a half marathon Sunday. I get to be a spectlete for the first time! She's been feeling blah, meh, and all around ugh. Training has become something she dreads and I've not been as supportive as I could be. Our training focuses have diverged, but we will find some common ground. I think we are both going to need it. She's training for a PR at the Disney marathon this winter and I'm training for the triathlon. Her weekend runs are 15-20 miles. Mine are 4-6 and I'm not increasing that distance until spring. 


With darkness swallowing the world at 5 each evening and both of us working very different training plans, it's hard to be training buddies. I think I see some evening weight training sessions in our future, compromise is the key to every friendship. Have you lost a training partner because of divergent training goals?

2 comments:

  1. I think that with various goals things shift but you can always reconnect at some point during the week. Like with all relationships, there must be effort from both parties! :) Keep up the good training!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have lost a few due to different schedules and a move. it was tough at first but we've found ways to still run together and just make up for it by phone or email.

    ReplyDelete