Saturday, September 22, 2012

No Injuries 2013

My new mantra for the fall/winter is "No Injuries 2013." I want to have an awesome race season with PR's all across the board. I want to be fast, for me anyway.  And I am tired of being injured. I'm tired of the bone spurs, the tendonitis, the fasciitis. All caused by improper training.

The ball
I tend to push until I hurt and then I sit. I'm terribly inconsistent in all my habits and it shows in my past training. The new training plan demands consistency. It's based on max aerobic heart rate training. No intervals, fartleks, hills, sprinting, fun stuff... That's what inspired my first Garmin purchase. It's the 405. I know it gets mixed reviews, but I'm willing to give it a try. Training with it is eye opening. I didn't think I was working hard on the bike, but the heart rate monitor said otherwise. A weight workout also pushed me out of that zone. This week I got to walk twice and my average speed was like 17 min miles. What!

The one thing the doctor told me I had to do if I wanted to succeed was, "Follow the plan. No cheating!" It's so frustrating to hear the beep and have to slow down. Of course, I can't wear it in the pool, so I have to manually check my heart rate at the end of each set. No annoying beeping there! Another eye opening and humiliating experience. I'm used to swimming about 1000 yards in 30 minutes. Now, it's closer to 600.

Everything about this is humbling. Is my fitness really rubbish? What have I been doing for the past 4 years? Does this thing even work!

Though I do have to admit, I get a kick out of uploading my data and reviewing it.

So, for now, the next few months anyway, my workouts will be short and boring and no cheating! (except maybe one Gran Fondo, but just the piccolo) The doctor promised I would start seeing improvements sooner rather than later, if I stuck to my plan. Thirty minutes, 5 times a week, 10 minute warm-up, 10 minute workout, 10 minute cool-down. I can do that for 2 more weeks. Right? Right!

Have you tried max aerobic heart rate training or zone training? Did you see improvements?











1 comment:

  1. Good on your for switching things up! I hope it works for you. Unfortunately, I train like you did...... Not an analytical person when it comes to training stats.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete