Saturday, September 15, 2012

Part 1 Nation's Triathlon ~ Before the Race

Nation's Triathlon to Benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is in the bag. My second time with Team In Training was another wonderful experience, even though I haven't met my fundraising goal, yet. I know the summer has been hard on America financially, but we are fighting cancer here and making huge strides in treatments for blood cancers. DONATE :D Give a dollar or 2 and reap the benefits. You'll feel like a hero, you'll stand taller, you'll be faster, stronger, able to leap buildings in a single bound... I may have gone a bit overboard on that one :D
Scott, the masterful DC driver and tour guide,
with me race morning.

Our weekend in Washington, DC was busy! I owe major thanks to my teammate, Scott, for giving me a ride to and from DC. If I'd had to drive in that nightmarish muddle of downtown traffic, I'd have had to shoot someone! Thanks also to my sister's friend, Katie, for letting me stay at her place Friday night and giving me a ride back to the Hilton. Speaking of the Hilton,  I was told at least 3 times within the first hour that this was the hotel Reagan was shot at or this was the "Hinckley Hilton." Filed under useless facts or needless conversation starters. I don't need anymore of those!

Jim "The Mentor", Coach Richie, me, "The Amazing" Dawn,
 Kristen "The Mermaid" and Scott "The Unbreakable"
Saturday, the local TNT chapter organized a group ride from the hotel to transition. The 3 mile ride was eye-opening. First, I'll never ever be a kamikaze city cyclist. My nerves were all kinds of shot to Hell! Second, clipped in for city riding equals never again! I'll keep my country lanes, thank you very much. The ride wasn't terrible, I kept up with the group, I didn't fall off my bike, I didn't even come close to being hit by a car. There were just so many cars, road hazards, stop signs and lights! It was also my first ride in a large-ish peloton. A large group of strangers of unknown bike handling skills is a bit unnerving. Actually, the closest I came to having an accident was when a cyclist in front of me fell off his bike. I really need to ride in a group more often. Plus side, you can chat on rides in groups :D

I got a touch of sunburn on this ride, which gave me a headache. My leg was also starting to hurt. So I went back to the expo and let the ART people work on my leg. ART should be called MAGIC. That and Ginger's generous donation of ibuprofen saved me by the inspiration dinner.

The amount of money raised, the research it is accomplishing, the support and encouragement of the TEAM lifted all the doubts that'd were nagging in the back of my mind. I drank a gallon of water and tea, I ate, I cheered. I was ready for the 4:00 wake up call.

Except I woke up at 3:00. My leg was stiff, my head was hurting, I was more nervous than I'd ever been before a race. I foam rolled for 30 minutes, I did yoga for 30 minutes, and then I followed "the plan." That was my goal from the first for this race. "Follow the plan." I knew what I was going to eat and drink and when I was going to eat and drink it. I visualized every stroke of the swim, every push and pull on the bike, every step on the run (walk, per doctors orders, mostly walk cause IRC!)

TN TEAM at 4:30
Enthusiastic! H~A~P~P~Y!


My team was happy, anxious, excited, and optimistic. I smiled and joked and drank a coffee with 3 sugars and kept my nerves to myself. We were already champions for fighting cancer. This race was just our reward. I was about to learn that some rewards require a bit of extra effort to enjoy.

Go TEAM!

Part 2 ~ Race Day Swim

No comments:

Post a Comment