Monday, January 16, 2012

Second Group Ride

Sunday was a beautiful day! Beautiful! When I woke up Sunday morning, the last thing I wanted to do was exercise. And then I got to the park, got on the bike, and felt like a triathlete-- a beginner one.

Richie, TNT mentor, switched out my regular pedals for toe cage pedals. These pedals made a big difference to my ride. Lara, coach, worked me through gear changes, that I'm finally becoming more comfortable with. She also helped with some tricky form issues that I'd have never seen myself.

I learned that I pedal toes down (very bad), I'm right side dominant (right quad is still sore), and I like going down hill fast. Oh, but I lack control on the descents. New things to learn each time.

This was a brick day. Brick days teach you to transition from sports. Trying to run after coming of the bike is a strange and uncomfortable thing. For me, it was painful. Cramping along the shin bone is unpleasant. And the cause of such unpleasantness was all my toes down, right side dominance pedaling. Going fast down hill has no influence on my achy leg. I foresee hours of circular thinking, worrying that my toes are pointed down.

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.

I'll get back to you when I know I can.

2 comments:

  1. i tend to pedal toes down too but i hear it's normal and just takes some practice to correct. keep up the good work with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was told to pedal like you're trying to scrape shit off the bottom of your shoe. I fell 2x on my inaugural ride with clipless pedals...... Gave up on my road biking ;-)

    Good luck to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete