Saturday, September 15, 2012

Part 3 Nation's ~ Up Hill Both Ways

I've never been so hungry as when I came out of the water! I ate a honey stinger before I put my bike shoes on. I even sat in the grass to eat, drink and put on my shoes. I needed a moment to gather myself before hitting the bike course.

THERE IS NO DOWNHILL

I admit it. I like to complain. I'm good at it. Of course, Coach Richie says I only complain with a smile on my face so it's hard to take me seriously...

But there was NO DOWNHILL! None, none at all. I was still a bit energy depleted at the start of this ride, but I kept up a good cadence, kept eating and drinking. About mile 6, I started to feel like I had some more to give and cranked up the speed. The course itself was well marked and rolling to flat. There was one section that was a long, gradual incline and on the other side of the road were cyclists going down and I was really excited to get to that part for some free wheeling. Except, there was no free wheeling! What the heck happened to the DOWNHILL! 

I've described routes I've ridden around home as having "no hills." But there were times I was still able to get low and go fast and free wheel. This course I didn't find any of that! It felt like a really long spin class- I hate spin class. My ride wasn't consistent. I would have loved to have a bike computer to give me my stats on this course. I'm still learning when to eat and what gear is most efficient. But as a race, it was my best to date.

Socialcizing!

Before the race, I told Richie I was setting my watch to run 40 seconds and walk 1:25. I was fudging what the doctor said would be acceptable- as long as my tendon didn't hurt. I pre-cut some kinesio tape to apply for the run and tried to get it on like the PT showed me. That didn't workout so well... but anyway, I was feeling all HTFU! I wanted to be done and I was 6.2 miles from a doughnut.

I met this awesome lady, Theresa from Baltimore who decided to hang with me on my intervals. We talked the entire way. I forgot I was "racing" and just ran or walked when the watch beeped. I also remembered to eat my last few chews, sugar really makes a difference! The course was fun, even though I didn't notice any of the monuments. ADHD or exhaustion?

Because I had someone to share the miles with, it didn't feel hard at all. Theresa, if you read this, THANK YOU SO MUCH! The only time my tendon hurt was the last little bit when I decided to run to the finish line for over 3 minutes... My tendon hated that and let me know just before the finish line. Ice and compression socks helped :D I felt great after this race, mentally and physically. Well, after the ice bath and a nap. GO TEAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment