Thursday, December 13, 2012

Giving Thanks

Yesterday, I took my dad to 2 doctors. When he worries about things, it doesn't come across as worry. It comes across as mean. Being the person confined in the vehicle with him means I'm often the target of his meanness. You do not get used to this, you just deal with it. He's been grumpier than usual lately and I wasn't looking forward to the trip, especially when I made the call to take him to the podiatrist before we left for the cancer doc in the city.

He has a foot infection and the home health wound care nurse was worried that the infection was in the bone.  I rushed him out of the house (I was running late). He was cranky (I was cranky) when we got to the office and asked if I'd grabbed the antibiotic and home health notebook. I'd forgotten. But when I pulled out a book to read he made me close it! Like I was 10 and failed a math test (the only math test I ever failed was a calc 1 final-- calculus is hard!) If this was going to be an indication of the day to come...

We waited in the lobby. We waited in the room. Crankiness was the rule. Then he saw the doc, who said it was actually healing, had good blood flow, and while it is a nasty infection and we have to keep a close eye on it, it is healing...

And the day was suddenly better. The trip to the city was pleasant. Dad told vampire jokes to the lab techs, ate pizza and didn't throw my Hint of Orange tea out the window. Why he doesn't love this stuff is beyond me...
A Favorite Thing

No comments:

Post a Comment