Monday, December 24, 2012

My poor thumb!

Day before yesterday, I took the bike out for a ride. It was chilly brisk cold. I wanted to get it out before the rain arrived. I've been lax over the holidays about exercise. With my foot still not 100% and family coming in an out, it's ready made for excuses...

(this is me sighing and eye rolling at myself while I try to justify my laxity laziness.)

if i could have, i would have thrown my truck.
 i was that angry. never throw my bike,tho.
btw, if you don't read comics, you really should.
the Hulk is AWESOME!
After a few minutes on the bike path, I noticed the tires were low. (who didn't check them before the ride? who didn't bring spares? i may have left my helmet at home, but i will neither confirm nor deny this.) I went back to the truck to pump them up. Except my bike pump, and my spare bike pump, let the air out of both my tires and wouldn't pump them up! I fought and fought with the pumps. I couldn't get the presta valves to seal. I ended up covered in grease and sliced my finger open. I'm not even sure how I sliced my finger open, but I bled all over everything. The fit I threw then was both loud and embarrassing. The only saving grace was it was too cold for any sane person to be riding a bike so no one was around to hear my Hulk-like fit of rage.

Ride over. I went home to put the bike on the trainer (it's too cold outside anyway-- grump grump). I got new tires for the bike this year and kept the old ones for the trainer. I want to get a set of wheels just for the trainer, but it'll have to wait until next season (I am not made of money). Changing the tires would give me much needed practice. Much. Needed. Practice.

If I'd gotten a flat during a race...

It doesn't bear thinking about. I'll have nightmares of being choked by tubes while dancing tire levers poke my eyes out.

The valves on the new tubes sealed up nicely. I got both tires changed, the bike on the trainer and the DVD player hooked up to the TV. Of course, I haven't ridden on it yet...

I'm still recovering from the trauma of a tire change.


No comments:

Post a Comment