Friday, December 5, 2014

Been Awhile; Corn Dogs for Supper

Promised my dad before he died that I'd lose this weight that has been plaguing me the past 2 years. Nothing has worked, finally a doctor said it was a stress (and age- I'm ignoring that, 29 forever!) response. This doctor told me it wasn't in my head and I should really give a ketogenic diet a try. It's helped others lose weight and rebalance hormones. He then proceeded to tell me it was horribly hard to follow.

Thanks for the encouragement, Doc.

He was almost right. Eating a ketogenic lifestyle is hard, IF you don't have google. I've been making recipes left and right. Had some successes and some failures. A friend suggested I chronicle my adventures in "new fangled" cooking. Especially my failures (there aren't that many) and what non-keto eaters like and loathe. They mostly loathe anything I make- on principle!

Last night I made CORN DOGS! From the wonderful blog of Maria at Keto Adapted. I've learned a lot from her site in the last week and wish I'd found her years ago.
Sticking to the pan and do these look a bit inappropriate?

The recipe was fairly simple and quick. I doubled the recipe, used 6 hot dogs, paprika for spice, and added 1/2 tbsp of Swerve to the batter. I like the sweet taste of corn dog batter. The batter filled my entire mini muffin pan so I had 6 servings instead of the expected 4. I'm not sure how I'd get this batter to really stick to a whole hot dog to fry, besides the mini muffin style is cute for kids. It crossed my mind to pull out the deep fat fryer to finish these off, however the corn dogs stuck to the pan terribly. I greased that pan a lot after reading the comments and it still didn't work. I think a silicone pan would have worked and perhaps dusting the pan before adding the batter would help.

No worries, it still came out okay and it went over well with my nephews and my mom. They'd have liked it better if I'd left the cauliflower off the plate. I found the taste satisfying, the texture acceptable. This is something I will make again. The nutritional profile works for me too. (per myfitnesspal.com recipe calculator)
Yucky cauliflower and yummy mustard and chipotle mayo 

Nutrition Facts
Servings 6.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 248
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 18 g28 %
Saturated Fat 7 g37 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 154 mg51 %
Sodium 591 mg25 %
Potassium 77 mg2 %
Total Carbohydrate 8 g3 %
Dietary Fiber 5 g19 %
Sugars 1 g
Protein 13 g26 %
Vitamin A8 %
Vitamin C1 %
Calcium1 %
Iron12 %



No comments:

Post a Comment