Thursday, December 11, 2014

Um, Donuts


Doughnuts. In my previous world, doughnuts meant and only meant Krispy Kreme. Donuts are everything else. You are never going to find a low carb/keto/healthified Krispy Kreme replacement. Don't tell me you do or can- just don't! Don't waste your time. That yeasty, airy, diabetic coma inducing goodness is not remakeable. I can be okay with that. I can! The hot-ready-now sign is nothing to me! Nothing!


My one perfect donut!
Just before Thanksgiving, while cruising The Google when I should have been sleeping, I found a donut recipe I had to try. Combine my desire for pumpkin, which I wasn't sure if I could still eat while following a ketogenic diet, and my desire for doughnuts and you get Pumpkin Cardamom Donuts Holes from Ruled.Me. It was near midnight. I ran downstairs and had cracked the eggs before I realized I didn't have any pumpkin. Driving to the store crossed my mind, when I spied a lone sweet potato on the counter. I don't didn't like sweet potatoes. Get off sugar for a few weeks and sweet potato tastes like candy.


I still haven't cooked with erythritol so I used what I had on hand. Monk Fruit and liquid stevia. The stevia gave it a bitter aftertaste. Anything I've baked with liquid stevia has come out a tad bitter, just a bit off. Two days later, I served them with a bit of whip cream and coffee, no one noticed the "off" (I asked). The donuts smelled good, tasted sweet and savory, were very filling.

It was a recipe I marked to make again. I heart cardamom.

With one of my nephews "asked" not to come to school for a couple of days, I was stretched to find things to keep him occupied. I gave him a long list of recipes to choose from and this is the one he wanted. He loves pumpkin. He asked for Krispy Kremes for his birthday. So we pulled out my hardly ever used donut pan and set to baking. 


Making donuts was a kid friendly activity, however cardamom is not a universally loved spice. My poor nephew said it tasted like flowers. Unfortunately, he doesn't like flowers or cardamom. The little nieces both thought they smelled good and then wouldn't eat them. Definitely a grownup spice, in my house.

Fortunately for me, I'm a grownup!

Sticking pan :(
Only things I changed this time was using Swerve in place of the erythritol and stevia and I tried baking half the recipe in my donut pan. I don't know what it is about baking with coconut flour, but it always sticks to the pan. If you have a fix for this, share it with me! This made the donut shaped ones come out a bit sad. I did get one to come out clean. Don't worry about how messy they come out. They taste divine (if you like cardamom). 

I foresee myself crumbling the broken ones over a custard or whipped cream. Maybe I can work out some kind of parfait. Don't worry about being perfect, just make a mess with a smile on your face.

This is probably going to become one of my go to recipes. It's just something I truly enjoy. Try them with the cardamom, if you don't like them make them try again with another spice!

Try these! Nutrition data from My Fitness Pal recipe importer
Nutrition Facts
Servings 12.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 95
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 7 g11 %
Saturated Fat 4 g21 %
Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 66 mg22 %
Sodium 113 mg5 %
Potassium 20 mg1 %
Total Carbohydrate 5 g2 %
Dietary Fiber 3 g10 %
Sugars 1 g
Protein 3 g5 %
Vitamin A4 %
Vitamin C0 %
Calcium1 %
Iron5 %

No comments:

Post a Comment