Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Pots de Crème! Fancy

Pots de Crème... fancy. But don't be scared away. It's custard. For me it's just a dish to use up egg yolks. I have no idea what I made that just used egg whites. My brain apparently didn't file that information away or else someone used my kitchen without telling me.

No matter. One of the first keto blogs I found was ruled.me. I love all the info I found there and the recipes are amazing. The recipes have nutrition data broken down by ingredient, which is super insightful.

These were quick to make. Yes, the oven time is for-ev-er! but get over that. Set the timer and cook supper. You'll have a fancy, creamy, sweet dessert and your kitchen will smell faintly of caramel- what's not to love about that?

If you're my mom, the "not to love" is the lack of a crunchy, sugary top. "If you just sprinkle a little bit of sugar on the top..." No. No sugar for you! Even without the crunch she liked it. The twins ate all the green stuff on their plates to get at them and thought I should make more.

The color on the top of mine was an accident. Mom said it looked like I'd broiled it, so the taste and the visuals were right. She just can't get over that crunch. I'll see if there's a workaround for that. But I'm not in a great big hurry for it.

Two other notes: I made some changes to the recipe. I opted to use maple extract and xanthan gum and I used Swerve in place of the erythritol and stevia. And secondly, to the taste. I ate a bite of this and didn't drink anything afterward. About 5 minutes later, I had a funky aftertaste that I didn't notice at dinner. I guess my tongue still wants the real sugar, even if my brain has stopped craving it. These were great with coffee and there was no aftertaste at dinner.

Make these! Caramel Pots de Crème from Ruled.me (Nutritional Info from My Fitness Pal recipe importer)
Nutrition Facts
Servings 6.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 245
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 25 g39 %
Saturated Fat 15 g75 %
Monounsaturated Fat 8 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 222 mg74 %
Sodium 130 mg5 %
Potassium 58 mg2 %
Total Carbohydrate 2 g1 %
Dietary Fiber 0 g0 %
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g6 %
Vitamin A21 %
Vitamin C1 %
Calcium5 %
Iron2 %

No comments:

Post a Comment